Sunday 14 January 2018

Darn Good Question

So, for those of you just tuning in, I had kind of a rough time over the holidays. 

The short version of the story, which is really all I have the energy left to tell at this point, is that I had never properly dealt with the emotional fallout from Dad's death, my stroke, Gordon's suicide, and then Mr Ali and Zamith's deaths. 

Part of the reason I had never properly dealt with this was that I had no one to talk to about any of it.  I came to realize, right around the time the holiday season started, that I was basically alone here.  All of my friends that I would ordinarily discuss this stuff with were gone.

So when I finally got holiday time off from work, I had the time to finally deal with things, and then Kent Kangley arrived, and I had someone to talk to about them.

And I came unglued.  Everything I'd been putting off dealing with for the past two years came out.  I was worried that once I started crying I wouldn't stop, and I sort of couldn't; it went on for days, and didn't get any better when Kent went back to Seattle.

Today I was walking from my place to Higashi-Kanagawa and back, a mere ten kilometers or so, and the solitude got to me again, so I texted Linda.  She was very comforting and helpful, and I only had to stop a couple of times to pull myself together.

She did ask a couple of interesting questions, though.  The first one was, "What gets you out of bed in the morning?" (short answer: fear.  That's a subject for another entry.)

The second question was, "What keeps you alive?  What makes you come alive?" 

I legitimately don't have an answer for that right now.  I don't feel alive at the moment.

But it sure makes me think. 

2 comments:

  1. That is a REALLY good question, and one I also have been struggling with recently. I don't have an answer, but I have something that has helped in the meantime, weirdly. And that is to realize that I am only here on this earth because I continue to choose to be here. That's IT. I could pop off at anytime. I could ALT-F4 this life at ANY TIME. But it is my decision not to. So every morning I wake up and get out of bed, that is my decision, and there's some helpful validation for me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The two parts to the question were, "What keeps you going," to which my immediate, unedited answer was, "fear."
    "What keeps you alive" has been the more problematic of the two.

    ReplyDelete